Monday, March 04, 2019

Celebrating leading ADA women on International Women's Day - Dr Angie Nilsson

In the lead up to International Women's Day on Friday 8 March we continue our spotlight on leading ADA women. This time we spoke to ADATas President, Dr Angie Nilsson.
What motivated you to study dentistry? Were you ever constrained by perceptions about what women ‘can’t’ do? 
My plans of being the next Ennio Morricone and writing film scores was thwarted when my piano teacher came back from a dental appointment and said, “Don’t bother with music go into dentistry”! I took this as a hint that my talents were better developed elsewhere. I haven’t felt constrained within myself, but have absolutely been told as a clinician that I can’t do certain things or work in certain areas because I’m a woman. I like the challenge of proving otherwise. 
Describe some of the inspiring women in your life that have made an impact on you. 
My mum has been my most inspiring hero. She’s a tiny, beautiful Greek woman who has worked hard as a mother, dressmaker, deli assistant, mature-age student and teacher. Sometimes she did these jobs all at the same time. She displays strength and integrity in everything she does. I’m drawn to Eleanor Roosevelt as well and love her quote, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”.
How has the dentistry workforce changed since you studied and throughout your career?
As a British graduate in 2003, the turnout of students was gender equal and females were starting to surpass males in numbers. Now in Australia 2019 this is just starting to happen so from my own personal view it’s been static. What’s changed I think is an appetite to have more change and to see better representation of females in leadership and executive positions.
Tell us about your pathway throughout your leadership journey. 
I was born in the Chinese year of the ram. I had never considered myself a leader and was happy to be a sheep. Being ADATas president has not only allowed me a voice as a leader but also has highlighted to me the continuing disparities in organisations. A year ago I was successful in gaining a scholarship in a leadership course from Women in Leadership Australia. What I’ve since realised is that you can lead regardless of your title or role and positive change can occur if you don’t allow apathy and isolation to take hold. 
Describe some of the highlights of your role as ADATas President.
I’ve been so lucky to be part of a council that is inclusive and diverse. Being one of a team with united vision has been a joy. My passion for advocacy in aged care oral health has also meant that I can use my limited time as president to give voice to those who can’t. 
What do you say to women considering a taking the step into leadership with the ADA?
I would say be prepared for some disappointments, some hurdles, and some knocks to your ego. See these not as losses but as challenges for positive change. I would quote Mrs Roosevelt, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”.